Sunday, January 15, 2012

Surgery

I haven't had the heart to write for a while.  First, because deciding on surgery was so intense and emotional, and then because recovery from surgery has been so discouraging.

But, I've had my surgery.

I am three months out now and the bone is not healing as quickly as it should.  My surgeon pointed at the ct scan and referred to it as "fluffy stuff."  Now, I am stepping up my calcium intake even more.

There were a bunch of normal, but scary phases during the first 3 months.  The pain shooting down my leg phase that started a week after the surgery.  That first week my legs and feet felt great, but then I had an episode where I choked on a calcium pill, of all things.  It was lodged by my wind pipe and I just choked and choked and made a horrible gasping, wheezing noise until my mom heard me and walked into the room.  I could breathe carefully, but not swallow.  Finally it just slipped down my throat.

Anyway, after that my back muscles were strained and I had bad sciatic pains and crampings.

Then there was the tailbone pain.  I sat, slightly reclined, in the car for over an hour.  Even though it felt fine, near the end my tailbone started to hurt and that pain lasted for at least two weeks.  I finally quit taking my walks because the pelvic floor muscles were pulling on the tailbone and it was just exacerbating everything.

Then when I tried to start walking again it was SI joint dysfunction.  The joint where the sacrum and hips meet.  Every step forward, sideways.  It felt like terrible arthritis was developing.

One night I finally had an epiphany.  I tried to walk like we marched in marching band.  Propelling myself forward, glide stepping from heal to toe, using the ball of the foot to push forward with each step.  I focused on keeping my hips perfectly straight, and this finally allowed me to walk.

I have more to tell, who knows when, but for now, would I recommend this surgery?  I would say wait.  Wait until you are in excruciating pain.  Talk to physical therapists who know your body and know the results of the surgeon you are considering.  Physical therapists probably know more about how your body will function after surgery than the surgeon even does.

I miss being able to bend and twist.  I'm in more pain now, and I'm scared that somethings bad is going on at my L4-L5 level.  But, I'm walking, stretching, and pressing on.  It could still turn out marvelously.

The most repeated command in the Bible is...DO NOT FEAR.

"Fear not for I am with you; Be not dismayed for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, Yes I will help you. I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."  Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment