Friday, August 19, 2011

Wall Angels

Since I hurt my neck earlier this year, it has been really painful to lift things above shoulder level.  For a while I stopped unloading the dishwasher.  Thankfully a roommate agreed to take that on.  Then she went on vacation and I started unloading it again, but stacked the dishes on the counter and covered them with a clean dishtowel.  You do what you can, right?

Well, a couple days ago I decided to see if I could start doing my wall angels again.  It is an exercise that really helped my back and neck about a year and a half ago.  

I only did three, and that was plenty.  Then I rested a day and then did three again today.  And, yes, I mean three reps, not three sets.

I was hurting a little bit afterward, but not too much, and I felt fine after a nice long hot shower.  Maybe I will do four next time.  Woo hoo!

For me I keep a neutral spine (naturally curved) and don't flatten my spine against the wall.  This way the transverse abdominal muscles turn "on" to help support the spine.  These muscles are low on the stomach below the belly button and are parallel to the floor.  The exercise feels right when I do them like that, and any help my transverse abdominals can get is a good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment